Barbara Whiten Balliette
Barbara Balliette is a partner with Reid Collins & Tsai. Barbara received her B.A. from Baylor University in 1990 and her J.D. cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in 1993.
Barbara’s practice has included many of the firm’s most complicated litigation matters in state and federal courts throughout the country. She handles a variety of complex matters, including actions arising out of high-end foreclosures and forced sales, business fraud, professional malpractice, director and officer liability, and insurance coverage disputes.
Barbara also has extensive experience with insurance coverage evaluation in commercial, breach of fiduciary duty, and legal malpractice cases. She has authored coverage opinions advising both insureds and insurers on the scope of insurance coverage and advises insureds about the availability of insurance coverage in complex litigation situations.
Through more than 25 years in practice, Barbara has excelled in managing legal teams and shepherding cases and clients through the complex litigation process. Barbara understands how court system delays can harm her clients’ business goals thus she prioritizes moving cases through the system efficiently, with an uncompromising focus on the clients’ best interest.
Barbara is admitted to practice in the state of Texas and all Texas federal district courts, as well as the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court.
In addition to her legal practice, Barbara is an active board member in many local community organizations, including serving as the Grant Coordinator for the Travis County Women Lawyers’ foundation, which provides substantial funds to organizations that support women and children involved in the legal system.
- Jury verdict finding no liability for new owner of $112 million student housing complex, purchased in a forced sale. The favorable verdict came after a two-week, multi-party trial in a derivative action brought on behalf of a Delaware Statutory Trust, involving allegations of fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and contract violations.
- Representation of clients in high-end legal malpractice cases against some of the largest law firms in the country.
- Total defense verdict after two-week jury trial representing lender in a complex multi-year lawsuit involving breach of contract, wrongful foreclosure and other tort claims.
- Representation of lender and favorable settlement in foreclosure action after loan breaches.
- Multi-million-dollar summary judgment rulings in federal court representation of lender in breach of contract lawsuit.
- Summary judgment in federal court on behalf of insurance company client in bad faith, “sweetheart deal” assignment, and coverage litigation.