Angela J. Somers
Angela J. Somers, Partner at Reid Collins & Tsai LLP, has over 28 years of experience handling complex commercial and financial disputes with an emphasis on bankruptcy or distressed business related litigation. Ms. Somers has represented clients in large and complex bankruptcy cases, including official and ad hoc committees of bond and equity holders, chapter 11 and 7 trustees, debtors, indenture trustees, institutional lenders and investors, creditors and purchasers of distressed assets and securities. Through these assignments, Ms. Somers addressed some of the most cutting edge fraudulent transfer, preference, subordination, and breach of fiduciary duty issues. Ms. Somers is able to navigate quickly through sophisticated financial circumstances in order to identify and pursue critical causes of action. Her ability to analyze the factual background and simplify the course of action in order to maximize value for her clients has been her key strength throughout her career. Ms. Somer’s recent representations at Reid Collins are listed below.
The valuable insights of Ms. Somers have led to her frequent guest appearances on CNBC’s Squawk Box as well as Bloomberg News. She has also been quoted in various financial publications.
Prior to joining Reid Collins & Tsai, LLP, Ms. Somers was Counsel at the law firms of Allen & Overy, LLP, Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft LLP and LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP. During her time at these firms, Ms. Somers worked on a number of notable cases mentioned below. Ms. Somers received her B.A. from Brown University in 1982 and her J.D. from Emory University School of Law in 1986.
- Christopher Moser, as plan trustee of Tango Transport, LLC et al. in a fraudulent transfer action against Navistar, Inc., Navistar Financial Corporation and Navistar Leasing Company. The trustee sought to unwind a settlement and prove the value of a released Louisiana redhibition (lemon law) claim relating to trucks with MaxxForce engines.
- Expert on Chapter 15 bankruptcy law issues in Kaisa Group Holdings Ltd.
- Numerous liquidators and trustees in Chapter 15 cases including AJW Offshore Ltd, ICP Strategic Credit Income Fund Ltd., Creative Finance Ltd., Cosmorex Ltd. , and Tibanne Co., Ltd, the parent of Mt Gox.
- Yann Geron as chapter 7 trustee of Pali Capital and Pali Holdings in conjunction with claims against directors and officers.
- FTI Consulting as Litigation Trustee in Centaur in connection with fraudulent transfer claims.
- Yann Geron as chapter 7 trustee of Thelen in connection with claims against former partners, and claim against the Commissioner of Insurance for the State of California.
- Deborah Piazza as chapter 7 trustee in Empire Financial Group Inc., Rhinoceros Visual Effects and Design LLC, Evacuation Complete LLC in connection with claims against officer and directors.
- Major creditor in WP Steel case.
- Official committee of unsecured creditors in the Mirant Americas Generation bankruptcy case, which included analysis and pursuit of various intercompany claims.
- National and international plaintiffs and claimants in conjunction with derivative and other transactions in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy cases.
- Official committee of equity security holders in Columbia Gas bankruptcy case that included the pursuit of large fraudulent transfer, preference and equitable subordination claims.
- Official committee of unsecured creditors in the Manhattan Investment Fund bankruptcy case in conjunction with losses from fraudulent activity.
- Offshore bank in the Granite Fund case that involved breach of fiduciary duty, misrepresentation, wrongful margin calls, fraud and other actions.
- Repo participants and other clients pursuing recovery of funds in various sub-prime lending cases, including New Century and People’s Choice.
- Official committee of unsecured creditors in NVF Company bankruptcy case, which dealt with key fraudulent transfer, misrepresentation and breach of fiduciary duty issues.
- Official committee of pre-merger bondholders in the Federated Department Stores bankruptcy cases, which included major fraudulent transfer action resulting from a leverage buy-out.
- Chapter 11 trustee in the Sasson Jeans bankruptcy case with respect to the recovery of hidden assets.
- Mezzanine entity lenders to and owners of distressed real estate assets.
- Monitor in the AbitibiBowater bankruptcy case in conjunction with cross border issues.
- Debtor in possession in the Phoenix Information Systems Corp., Portrait Corporation of America and RSL COM U.S.A. bankruptcy cases, which involved breach of fiduciary duty and voidable transfer claims.
- Indenture trustees as official committee members in numerous cases, including Rexene and Eastern Airlines cases.
- Deborah Piazza as chapter 7 trustee in Empire Financial Group Inc. in connection with claims against officer and directors.